Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

Minor Field Studies

Through Sida’s Minor Field Studies (MFS) scholarship you can spend 8–10 weeks in a developing country conducting a minor field study for your Bachelor’s or Master’s degree project. The purpose of MFS is to broaden and deepen the international expertise available at Swedish higher education institutions. MFS is administered by the Swedish Council for Higher Education.

Which countries can you go to?

Possible host countries within the MFS programme 2015 (159 kB)

Who can apply for a MFS scholarship?

  • A student who has completed at least 150 credits at the time of departure, and who is to collect information for their degree project. PhD students may not apply.
  • A student who is proficient in English. If the language of the host country is French, Spanish or Portuguese, you must have acquired language qualifications equivalent to C level from Swedish upper secondary school.
  • A Swedish citizen or Swedish permanent resident. In the latter case, the field study may not be conducted in the former home country. Students from other Nordic countries who are not Swedish citizens must have been living in Sweden on a permanent basis for at least one year.
  • A student who has not previously received a scholarship for field work concerning development. Other experiences, such as studies or time spent in a developing country do not prevent you from applying. An active interest in international affairs is considered a merit. MFS can only be granted once.

What does the scholarship cover?

The scholarship is a financial contribution that partly covers the expenses incurred during a field study. It usually needs to be complemented with funding from e.g. CSN. The scholarship amounts to SEK 25 000.


Apply for the MFS scholarship through the departments that have been approved to administer scholarships by the Swedish Council for Higher Education. Each department has its own application period, application form and instructions. The completed application is to be submitted to the MFS coordinator at your department/faculty. If your department does not administer MFS scholarships, you can contact other departments within your field of study.

List of approved higher education institutions and departments 2015 (210 kB)

List of administrators at higher education institutions in Sweden 2015 (267 kB)

Page Manager: